5 Easy Steps to Banish Brass
Spring has sprung and for many, warmer weather equals cooler shades! The demand for platinum, blonde, gray, silver, and white hair colors, along with cooling highlights, is heating up! Whether colored or natural, keeping these shades light, bright and pure can be a challenge, plus this hair is super-delicate. Maintaining its integrity is critical to maintaining the color. Brassiness occurs when your hair’s underlying warm pigments are revealed or when external factors cause the surface of your hair to turn yellow. When your natural color turns yellow, it’s because it’s weakened by a lack of melanin. Strands become porous and the hair fiber becomes more susceptible to oxidation. Other causes of brassiness include the environment, pollution, heat-styling, hard water and much more. How can you prevent this? Let’s take a look.
1. Protect your hair from UV rays and pollution. The sun can remove blue-based molecules, so the yellow-based molecules appear more prominent. Along with pollution, UV rays can also dry out your strands and fade your color, revealing your hair’s underlying warm tones. To prevent this, wear a hat or scarf when you’re in the sun, and use products with UV-protectants to shield strands.
2. Invest in a shower filter. Hard water can turn your color brassy in just a single shower! It also causes added build-up that can dull your shine and weigh down your hair. With so many easy-to-install options available, this is one of our most recommended preventative suggestions!
3. Use your heated styling tools on the lowest setting possible. High heat can easily damage already delicate blonde strands and turn porous strands brassy. Low and slow is the name of the game when curling or straightening light hair.
4. Avoid cosmetic products, like sunless tanning sprays and lotions, and many over-the-counter dandruff shampoos, which can turn your hair yellow.
5. Use purple products like our 19 Pro Silver Series. These color-correcting formulas neutralize brassy, yellow tones while providing the daily care and treatment that will keep your color cool and bright and your hair soft, smooth, shiny, and frizz-free. How do they work? Purple is the opposite of yellow on the color wheel, meaning it cancels yellow, Returning your hair to its brighter, cooler state.
o 19 Pro Silver Shampoo helps hydrate hair and scalp, as it cleanses gently. High in Vitamin E, Abyssinian Seed Oil provides intense hydration and helps to reduce frizz, leaving your hair with a beautiful shine.o 19 Pro Silver Hair Mask deeply nourishes and moisturizes strands. Rich in Omega 3 Fatty Acids, protective Sunflower Seed Oil, Coconut Oil, Marigold Extract, and Castor Seed Oil, this toning mask restores softness, manageability, and glossy shine, as it smooths damaged hair.
o 19 Pro Silver Oil is a unique, nourishing, superpowered purple-tinted oil that helps keep color on tone. Rich with Sunflower Seed Oil and Vitamins A and E, the lightweight leave-in formula provides heat- and UV protection.